FREE borrowers cards are available to anyone who owns property or permanently resides in Mobile County, has a Mobile County business license, or is a student living in Mobile County to attend a college or university.
Mobile Public Library offers free library cards to our neighbors in Baldwin, Washington, Clarke, Monroe, Escambia and Conecuh counties.
Temporary cards are being issued to area residents over the phone and online. Temporary cards are also issued for those in special circumstances residing temporarily in the area - shipboard, group home or military base residents, evacuees, relief workers.
HOW TO GET A LIBRARY CARD:
Complete an application form and present one piece of positive ID and proof of your current permanent home address at the check-out desk of any Mobile Public Library location or on the Bookmobile. Temporary cards are issued over the phone and online.
Fill out and print the application and bring it with you to save time!
ID WE ACCEPT:
- current drivers license or non-drivers ID
- current military personnel or military dependent identification card.
PROOF OF ADDRESS WE ACCEPT:
- current drivers license or non-drivers ID
- recent utility bill with your current name and street address
- checkbook with imprinted checks
- voter registration card with street address
- property deed or rent receipt with your name and address
- business license
Children ages 12 and under, must have a parent or legal guardian sign giving permission and taking responsibility for the valid use of the card and the safe and timely return of materials checked out by the child. Teens, ages 13-17 years old, may use their own identification to obtain a card.
Your library card is issued the same day you apply and entitles you to borrow and renew materials at any of the MPL branches. Your borrowing privileges are updated annually and you can use the same card until it needs replacement due to wear.
CHECK OUT PERIODS FOR MOST PHYSICAL ITEMS ARE 21 DAYS AND FREE EXCEPT:
- Feature Film DVDs, Educational DVDs and Videogames check out for 7 Days.
- Feature Film DVDs and Television DVDs cost $.75.
- Videogames cost $2.00.
10 FREE RENEWALS ARE ALLOWED EXCEPT FOR:
- Items with holds cannot be renewed
- Launchpads can only be renewed once
- DVDs and Video games for which a rental fee is charged. These items may be renewed for an additional fee.
You can view your account online and renew your items online with your Library Card number and PIN by logging in to My Account on our catalog site. Stop in at any branch or call (251) 340-1458 to get your PIN. For more help using the catalog, viewing your account or renewing, go to the Help page.
Overdue fines are $.30 per day up to a $7.00 maximum. Lost and damaged items are charged to your account based on replacement value.
For more information call (251) 340-1458 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN)
Your PIN is given to you when you get a library card and is used to login to your library account online.
Forgot you PIN?
- If you have your library card number (the barcode number on your library card) you can go to My Account in the online Library Catalog and select Forgot my PIN on the login window. Enter your library card number and an email will be sent to the email address on file for that library card's record. Folow the link in the email to reset your PIN.
- Also, with your library card number, you can call any Mobile Public Library location and we will give you your PIN. We will ask some basic questions to make sure we are talking to the person responsible for the library card.
- If you have lost your card, you can come to any Mobile Public Library Location and, with a photo ID, we will give you a new library card and your PIN.
GUIDELINES FOR LIBRARY CARD USE:
Keep your MPL card safe just like a credit card. It is your link to the materials on your record, and you are responsible for anything borrowed on your card.
TO ENSURE ITS SAFE USE:
- Always present your library card at check-out time.
- Don't loan your card to others.
- Immediately report a stolen or lost card by calling (251) 340-1458 or email us at email@example.com. Lost, stolen or mutilated cards may be replaced by presenting proper identification.
- If any of your name or address info changes, including your email address, please let us know by calling (251) 340-1458 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Return materials by the due date. If you receive an overdue notice after returning the materials, call your library to clear your record.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR REASONABLE CHARGES INCURRED IN THE RECOVERY OF OVERDUE MATERIAL(S) OR LOST OR DAMAGED ITEMS.